Financial Assistance

You may qualify for financial assistance. This can help you pay for support services, equipment, respite care, and vehicle or home modifications. To access funded support services, your first step is to talk to a needs assessment and coordination service. Your Support Team Member can help you with this process.


Work and Income (WINZ)

You may qualify for a Supported Living Payment and/or a Community Services Card. The Supported Living Payment is financial assistance for people who have, or are caring for someone with a health condition, injury or disability. A Community Services Card can help with the cost of  prescriptions and other health services.

Needs Assessment & Service Co-ordination Services (NASC)

To access funded support services, you’ll need to talk to a Needs Assessment and Service Coordination Service (NASC). The goal of the needs assessment is to figure out how to maximise your independence so that you can participate as fully as possible in society. NASCs allocate Ministry-funded disability support services and help with accessing other supports. Please click here for more information and local contact details.

Individualised Funding

Individualised Funding is a very useful way of paying for disability support services such as support workers, carers and household assistance. Individualised Funding enables disabled people to directly manage the hours they are allocated for Home and Community Support Services, such as household management (eg cleaning, meal preparation) and personal care (eg getting dressed).

Individualised Funding can only be accessed via a referral from a NASC. A contracted Ministry of Health provider (eg Manawanui) will then provide the Individualised Funding.

Residential Care Subsidy

If you need long-term residential care in a hospital or rest home, you may be able to get a Residential Care Subsidy from the Ministry of Health to help with the cost of care

Vehicle modification and other individual grants

The Lottery Individuals with Disabilities Fund makes grants to people with mobility- and communication-related disabilities. It may fund the purchase of a vehicle (such as a wheelchair accessible van), vehicle modifications, scooters and other mobility equipment that will provide outdoor mobility.

It also provides grants to people with communication-related disabilities for the purchase of equipment to facilitate communication. Click here for more information.

Housing modifications

The Ministry of Health provides information on the kind of house modifications that may be funded by Enable or Accessable, in order to help your home suit your needs. Please click here for more information.


Enable New Zealand funds the provision of equipment, housing alterations and vehicle modifications for people with a disability, on behalf of the Ministry of Health. Enable covers all of New Zealand below the Bombay Hills, south of Auckland.

Freephone 0800 17 1981


Accessable funds the provision of equipment, housing alterations and vehicle modifications for people with a disability, on behalf of the Ministry of Health. Accessable serves Northland and Auckland.

Freephone 0508 001 002

National Travel Assistance Scheme

If you need to travel long distances to see a specialist, then you may be eligible for help with expenses under the National Travel Assistance Scheme. These expenses may include travel, accommodation and support person costs. Click here for more information.

Fulton Hogan MND New Zealand Support Fund

The Fulton Hogan MND New Zealand Support Fund provides additional support to people living with motor neurone disease (MND), their immediate families, whānau, and carers. To Find out more about the Support Fund, click here